GDS COMMITTEE REPORT – IMPLEMENTATION PROCESS STARTED
Six member officers committee under the Chairmanship of Member (T) constituted to examine the Report and submit its recommendation for implementation.
Federation/unions are called by the Committee for presenting their views and suggestion before the Committee.
Shri S.K. Mishra , Secretary General , BPEF , Shri S.K. Singh Secretary General BPEF and Shri M.S. Chandel , General Secretary , BPEA Gr ‘C’ presented views and suggestions of BPEF & BEDEU -GDS before the committee. Detailed letter was also submitted to the Committee.
Dear Brothers ,
The Postal Board has initiated the process for implementation of Kamlesh Chandra Committee Report on GDS. A Six member officers committee is constituted to examine the Report and submit its recommendations for implementation of the Report. The following are the Chairman and Members of the Committee.
1. Shri Tilak De, Member (T) - Chairman
2. Shri B. Chandrasekhar, Chief PMG Telangana - Member
3. Shri S. R. Meena, Chief PMG, Gujarat Circle - Member
4. Shri A. K. Roy, DDG (RB) - Member
5. Ms. Smriti Saran, DDG (Estt) - Member
6. Shri. Hari Govind Dhakad, Director (T&C) - Member
The Committee invited Federations/Unions for discussion for presenting their views and suggestions, regarding the recommendations of Kamlesh Chandra Committee. Today (17.03.2017) Shri S.K. Mishra , President , BPEF , Shri S.K. Singh , Secretary General, BPEF and Shri M.S. Chandel , General Secretary, BPEA Gr. C held discussion with the Committee for one hour and presented the views and suggestions of BPEF & BEDEU-GDS before the Committee. Shri Sugandhi Kr. Mishra , General Secretary, BEDEU-GDS could not reach Delhi as the meeting was called with short notice. A detailed letter containing the views and suggestions was also presented to the committee.
BPEF/ GDS Committee/ 2017 Dated: 20-3-2017
Shri Tilak De ji
Hon’ble Member (T)
Postal Services Board
Dak Bhawan, New Delhi-110 001
SUGGESTIONS AND VIEWS OF BPEF & BEDEU OVER THE RECOMMENDATIONS OF VITH GDS COMMITTEE
We are thankful to entire team of one –man GDS Committee headed by Shri Kamlesh Chandra for making observations over each factor of GDS system by considering it as “SOUL “ of Deptt. (Para 4.49)
Through recommendations, it tried to establish a G.D.S. System which should increase job security, prevent exploitation and increase income of GDS so that they may live happily with this system and with existing legal status awarded to them.
The committee tried to remove , with Data , a misconception that GDS POs are only causing Departmental deficit . The deficit incurred by GDS is only 45% of total deficit and 15% of total expenditure (para 4.48) . It also became successful to prove that gap between revenue earned and expenditure incurred by GDS POs is very less.
It was successful in reminding the Department that where work load and traffic were not favorable the courier services were allowed to function and similarly 100% FDI was also allowed to fulfills USO responsibilities . Therefore , it is responsibility of Deptt. to assist the GDS system in order to increase USO obligations and business in rural sector, (para 4.4).
The most attractive point of committee over which it based its observation was Hon’ble P.M. Narendra Modi ji slogan “SABKA SAATH SABKA VIKAS”.
By way of recommendations , it tried to improve system not only quantitatively but also qualitatively. Its recommendation were in midway between Talwar Committee in higher side and Natraj Murti Committee recommendation in lower side. .
VIEWS & SUGGESTIONS
1. Duty hours & New Wage system : 11 TRCA slabs are sub subsumed into 3 wage scales with two levels of BPM & ABPMs. Out of six GDS category one will be called BPM and other 5 will be multitasking category whose jobs will no longer be confined to their old designation. The ABPM will Assist BPM for increasing revenue generation . The job profile is expanded to include Business Development and Marketing. Incentive to ABPM (MD&MC) for delivery work of Speed post & COD work etc. are also to be granted . ABPM have to do combined duty of BPM . The Time factors of Dak Sevaks of Departmental POs have to be assessed with Departmental norms but duties will be upto 5 Hrs. only . In general Duty hours were made 4 hrs. and 5 hrs. with minimum wage 10,000 Maximum 35480/-. Status of Dak Sevaks & ABPM is equivalent and name will be exchanged on transfer. Vide para 3-31-11 committee gave independence to rename them on advice of union . Therefore, we suggest :
1. Dak Sevaks be renamed as Assistant Postman / Asstt. Mailman as the case may be.
2. BPMs may also be allowed to get incentive as being allowed to PAs of Deptt. POs in a similar way ABPM were allowed .
3. The revenue generation binding for moving from Level –I to II may be reduced.
4. Annual increment of 3% may be allowed with open ended pay scales.
5. Max. 7.30 hrs. duty hours may be allowed.
6. No GDS offices should be closed and instead relocated at suitable place.
7. Existing wage of GDS should not be reduced in case of the BO fails to achieve revenue norms fixed under revenue related categorizations of BO
8. Strengthen Sub POs by converting all single handed Sub Post office with double handed.
2. Abolition of Point System , Revenue generation plan and making marketing efforts :
Wages were delinked from workload and made dependent over revenue generation. In General, Duty hours were fixed 4 hrs. In case defined revenue is not generated it can be opened upto 30 Minutes more .
Committee vide Para 4.50 refers that More than revenue Generation, it is the reach and trust of GDS network which enable the Deptt. to deliver trust worthy service in each & every part of country that cannot be quantified in term of revenue and is far beyond realm of expenditure.
Committee vide Para 6.80 refers that Door to door marketing & budget allotment for the purpose are some of prime factor which do not found any importance for rural business which is emerging as a major source of revenue of Deptt. The potentials of GDS are also not being trapped properly.
Committee Vide Para 6.81 emphasis that :- The GDS are not used for marketing as this job has not been added as duty in job profile in existing term of engagement . The Deptt. should utilize the same for marketing and add it as a function in job principle.
Committee Vide Para 6.8.7 suggest that Annual business target for SO and GDS PO should not be marked individually and instead a consolidated target should be given to sub Divisional Head consisting of all so & GDS PO of Sub. Division .
Therefore we suggest that ,
1. Minimum 5 hrs duty, with 1 hrs. for marketing work may provided to GDS . Therefore, minimum wage should be made 12,500 -30,000 , 15000- 36000, 15000-36000, 17000- 44000.
2. Independence in marketing effort be provided to GDS instead of Sub division team (Para 6.86.11) which can be checked by Inspecting team.
3. Proper training in each work may be provided.
4. Work of NSC/KVP and speed post may also be provided . All services offered in SO may be provided to GDS POs Para (6.86.22)
5. Withdrawal limit may be made 2,00,000/-.
6. Composite allowance may be allowed with increased amount.
7. BPM may be given name plates and ABPM may be given name badges.
8. Shift maximum GDS POs to Panchayat or Govt. Building.
9. Corporate Business houses, Schools college may also be allowed to open GDS PO by bearing 100% Expenditure .
3. Promotion , Transfer and leave facility
(i) The MACPs provision may be equated with Departmental employees provision of 10,20 & 30 years.
(ii) Eligible GDS BPM may be posted as PA by paying pro-rate wages as being done towards ABPMs in case of PM/MTS vacancies.
(iii) 26 Week maternity leave for women GDS withfull pay , one week paternity leave . 5 day casual leave in lieu of emergency leave . Leave accumulation up to 180 days may be allowed .
(iv) Committee Vide Para 9.25 suggest that there are proper justification for relaxing the limited transfer facilities and making it liberal to adjust GDS to the place of choice so that they can perform well and live better life . Thus, three transfer facility on own cost as recommended by committee may be made unlimited.
(v) Vide Para 17.21 it recommended restriction in the power of Sub Divisional Head for put of duty it may be allowed.
(iv) Vide Para 16.25 it suggested that Rule 7 of D.G. Circular 23 dated 24-2-70 amended time to time has provision of employing substitute by GDS itself. It may be retained.
Recruitment Rules & other provisions
1. Vide para 15.2 it recommends increase in DR quota of GDS in appointment in PM/MG cadre. It may be allowed.
2. Vide Para 11-49-16 it recommends that GDS of one office should be given combined duty in the same office or in jurisdiction of same offices . In no case GDS of one office should be given duty to another office . It may be allowed.
3. Vide Para 11-49-15 committee recommends that all Single handed GDS PO should be provided with one more hand as per Directorate instructions so that instances of combined duty may be reduced to barest minimum. It may be allowed.
4. Vide Para 10.41 & 10.42 it suggest that the period of absence without allowances may be counted as qualifying service for all purpose including annual increment . It may be allowed.
5. Condition of alternate source of income may be removed.
6. Voluntary retirement after 20 year of services may allowed.
7. On line recruitment method may be accepted . Local language may be made necessary. Compilation of a GDS selection rule- instruction & procedure may be published . Valid D.L. may be made mandatory for GDS . The Department should stop obtaining securities in form of FG Bond and should introduced system of pledging of 5 year TD account or NSC as security. Casual labour may be given preference for appointment GDS cadre .
1. CEA may be made at par with Departmental Employees.
2. Risk and Hardship allowance may be made 1000 P.M.
3. The amount of every allowance should increase by 25% as DA cross 50%/.
Social Security Scheme & Welfare Scheme
1. The committee Vide Para 19.32.9 recommends that the Deptt. should allow two union with Federation for GDS category of employees . One for BPM and other for ABPM by granting them usual trade union facilities to enable the categories to present their grievances at appropriate level .
2. The contribution towards CWF has been recommended to increase from Rs. 100 to Rs. 300. Therefore , Full medical facilities may be provided to GDS as Departmental employees are getting by deduction for CGHS .
3. SDBS contribution may be made 5% with similar contribution from Department.
4. Ceiling of ex-gratia gratuity may increase up to 10,0000/-
5. Bonus : Ceiling of Ex –gratia bonus may be enhanced at par with Departmental employees.
6. Compassionate appointment – (1) Vide para 19.24 committee suggested that there may not be any harm in reviving the rejected cases on the basis of reduced point system from 50 to 36 from the date of introduction of point system. (2) There must be 100% compassionate appointment of dependence of GDS .
7. 20% Departmental budget may be awarded as Welfare budget for GDS POs.
8. Loan of purpose of TAB/Mob. With 5% interest may be allowed.
9. Severance Amount may be increased 2 lakhs.
S.K. Singh Sugandhi Kr. Mishra
Secretary General –BPEF General Secretary –BEDEU (GDS)